What Should I Do After a Semi-Truck Accident?
After a commercial semi-truck accident, it is important to take the following steps:
- Seek medical help as soon as possible. Seek medical attention even if you think you are not severely injured because some injuries can take time to appear, while others can silently ravage your body. Medical documentation will also help if you file a claim against a liable party later.
- File a police report. Texas Transportation Code §550.062 requires investigating officers to submit a written report to the Texas Department of Transportation no later than the tenth day after the date of the crash if it resulted in injury to or the death of a person or damage to property of $1,000 or more.
- Interview eyewitnesses. Talk to witnesses, take notes, and exchange contact information with all of them, including other accident victims.
- Take photos. Take photos of your vehicle, other vehicles involved in the accident, your injuries, and any homes and businesses that appear to have security cameras that may have recorded footage before, during, and after your crash.
- Document everything. Document all property damage, weather conditions, road hazards, traffic signs, and signals. Keep track of medical bills, police reports, email communications, repair invoices, letters between you and the insurance company, and anything else related to your accident.
- Consult an attorney before admitting fault. Do not admit fault or say anything that might remotely suggest fault to the police, insurers, or anyone else until you have consulted with an attorney. Even an apology you offer just to be polite can be used by the insurance company or another party to place blame on you.
After a semi-truck accident, the skilled El Paso truck accident attorneys at Armstrong Lee & Baker can review your case, advise you of your rights, and help you decide the best course of action.
Consulting with an experienced attorney also helps ensure your truck accident claim is as successful as possible.
What Caused My Commercial Trucking Accident?
In a passenger vehicle crash, driver error is often to blame. However, semi-truck accidents can occur because of anything from construction debris on the road to trucking company negligence.
Ultimately, the facts and circumstances surrounding your case will help your truck crash attorneys determine what caused your accident and who can be held accountable.
The most common reasons for semi-truck accidents include the following:
- Drunk driving;
- Driving under the influence of drugs;
- Failing to stop at a traffic signal, stop sign, or crosswalk;
- Aggressive driving;
- Distracted driving;
- Fatigued driving;
- Truck driver inexperience;
- Poor weather conditions;
- Negligent truck inspection and maintenance;
- Mechanical failure;
- Manufacturer and parts defects;
- Road construction; and
- Cargo issues.
If you need a knowledgeable semi-truck accident lawyer, the El Paso attorneys at Armstrong Lee & Baker are available to review your case.
Understanding what caused your accident is the first step to establishing liability and building a strong truck accident claim.
Who Caused My Commercial Trucking Accident?
Because trucking involves multiple parties, more than one actor may be legally liable for your damages. For instance, suppose a cargo company overloads a truck, and the trucking company fails to maintain the truck’s brakes.
If the truck driver is speeding and hits the brakes while going downhill too fast, and the brakes give out, this could cause the cargo to spill into the road which then can cause a crash. In that case, the driver, cargo company, and truck company might all be liable.
Generally, the most common liable parties include the following:
- The truck owner;
- The truck driver;
- Other passenger vehicle drivers;
- Trucking companies;
- Truck manufacturers;
- Truck parts manufacturers;
- Truck part retailers;
- Cargo loaders;
- Subcontractors, and
- Government municipalities.
Because so many different parties can be at fault, proving semi-truck accident liability can be complicated.
That is why it is always best to hire a law firm like Armstrong Lee & Baker that has years of experience successfully resolving truck accident claims.
Collaborating with semi-truck accident lawyers in El Paso who have experience working with investigators, experts, and insurance companies to establish fault can make all the difference in securing a settlement that covers all your damages.
Contact an El Paso Trucking Accident Attorney Today
Contact an El Paso trucking accident attorney today.
At Armstrong Lee & Baker, our fearless and compassionate El Paso trucking accident attorneys will go toe-to-toe with trucking and insurance companies to win you every penny of compensation you deserve.
We can help you achieve the resolution you need to attend to your medical bills, injuries, lost wages, pain, and trauma.
We have won millions of dollars of compensation for our clients, and our client-focused approach always puts you and your interests first.
Your success is our victory. And rest assured, we never take a fee unless we win. Contact us today for a free consultation.