Armstrong Lee & Baker: Your Trusted Houston Car Accident Attorney
With a population of more than two million people, Houston is the fourth most populous city in the entire nation, trailing only New York City, Los Angeles, and Chicago. Thus, finding an attorney can feel like an uphill battle. A quick internet search for “Houston car accident lawyer” will likely yield more results than you can count.
With so many attorneys in the area to choose from, many people aren’t sure where to begin. Here are a few reasons why we think Armstrong Lee & Baker is the right choice for your Houston car accident lawsuit:
- First and foremost, we are trial lawyers, so we will never hesitate to go to trial if that’s what it takes to get the best results for your case;
- We take a client-first approach to our practice, treating our clients with the respect and compassion they deserve as we work to get them the compensation they need to move forward in the aftermath of their injuries;
- As a result of our years in practice and involvement in the community, we’ve built an extensive network, allowing us to better connect our clients to high-quality medical care, financial support, and other resources to address their concerns throughout every stage of the process;
- We are honored to have earned the trust of our past clients, many of whom have left us glowing testimonials and five-star reviews; and
- We have a tried and true record of success, winning multi-million dollar results for deserving clients in need.
If you’re still not sure whether Armstrong Lee & Baker is the right fit for you, that’s okay—we understand that this decision may take some time. In the meantime, read on to learn more about the Texas car accident lawsuit process and how an attorney can assist.
Houston Car Accident Lawsuit: What You Need to Know
It’s no secret that a Texas car accident lawsuit can be a lengthy and emotionally draining process. Nevertheless, going through this process is sometimes necessary to obtain the recovery you need and deserve in the aftermath of your accident. Before getting started, here are a few key things you should know.
Texas Car Accident Statistics
According to the Texas Department of Transportation, one motor vehicle traffic crash occurred every 57 seconds on Texas roads in 2021. As a result of these crashes, 239,539 people were injured throughout the State of Texas.
In Houston, specifically, there were a staggering 66,988 motor vehicle crashes, 20,513 of which resulted in injuries and 312 of which resulted in fatalities. Victims of these crashes included drivers, passengers, other motorists on the road, bicyclists, and even pedestrians. As such, it’s important to remember that motorists aren’t the only parties that may benefit from filing a Texas car accident lawsuit.
Common Car Accident Causes
A car accident can happen at nearly any place and at any time. However, some causes are seen more frequently than others. Below are some of the most common contributing factors and causes of car accidents in urban areas of Texas, such as Houston:
- Cell phone usage,
- Unsafe lane changes,
- Disregarding stop signs and other traffic signals,
- Driver inattention,
- Failure to control speed,
- Lane splitting or failure to drive in a single lane,
- Failure to yield,
- Following too closely behind another vehicle, and
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Of course, this is by no means an exhaustive list. Regardless of the precise factors contributing to the accident in your case, if you sustained injuries in a Texas motor vehicle accident due to the wrongful or negligent actions of another, you may be entitled to legal relief.
Types of Car Accident Injuries
Injuries sustained in a car accident can range from minor to severe and even fatal. Some of the most common types of injuries stemming from motor vehicle crashes include:
After a car accident, you must seek medical attention as soon as possible. Even if you feel your injuries are relatively minor, some injuries may not manifest themselves until hours or days later but can nevertheless be life-threatening. As such, it’s always best to get a diagnosis from a medical professional.
Texas Car Accident Damages
It’s not uncommon for car accident victims to incur thousands and even millions of dollars in the aftermath of a Texas car accident. Fortunately, many of these costs and expenses may be recoverable. Examples of damages a car accident victim may be entitled to recover include compensation for:
- Property damage to your vehicle and other personal property,
- Past and future medical expenses,
- Rehabilitation costs,
- Lost wages and loss of future earning capacity as a result of your injuries, and
- Pain and suffering.
While there’s no way to turn back time and prevent the actions of the at-fault party who caused your injuries, a Texas car accident lawsuit can provide an avenue toward valuable compensation to help you recover moving forward.
How Much Is My Houston Car Accident Lawsuit Worth?
The compensation you might receive varies widely depending on the facts and circumstances surrounding your case. For example, the amount of settlement or judgment in a car accident lawsuit will typically depend on the extent and severity of your injuries, the length of your recovery time, and the egregiousness of the at-fault party’s conduct, among other factors.
An experienced Houston car accident lawyer will know what factors to take into consideration and can advise in more detail on what your claim might ultimately be worth.
What to Do After a Car Accident In or Near Houston
The minutes and hours immediately following a car accident can feel like a blur. However, these moments are also usually some of the most crucial. Here are some important steps to take after involvement in a Houston car accident:
- Check yourself and any passengers, if any, for injuries;
- If possible, move your vehicle to safety;
- Contact the authorities and file a formal police report;
- Exchange information with any other involved parties;
- Take photos of the accident scene;
- Obtain contact information and statements from any witnesses to the accident;
- Contact your insurance provider to file a claim; and
- Seek immediate medical attention as soon as possible to assess your injuries.
While it can be challenging to think clearly after a car accident, keeping these steps in mind can go a long way toward protecting your rights and interests moving forward.
Texas Car Accident Lawsuit Statute of Limitations
Under Texas law, there is a two-year statute of limitations period for most personal injury lawsuits, which includes car accident injury claims. A statute of limitations is the legal timeframe in which a person has to file a lawsuit in court.
Except in very limited circumstances, this means that you must file your car accident lawsuit within two years of the date of the accident that resulted in your injury. Failure to do so before the statute of limitations expires could result in losing your right to pursue your recovery entirely. Thus, be sure to speak with an attorney as soon as practicable to discuss your case and get started on your claim before the statute of limitations expires.
Do I Need a Car Accident Lawyer for My Car Accident Lawsuit?
It’s true that there is no rule requiring injury victims to hire legal counsel to represent them in a car accident lawsuit. Nevertheless, doing so is often one of the best things you can do for your case.
A qualified and experienced car accident lawyer can help you:
- Assess your potential damages and advise you on what your claims might be worth;
- Gather evidence to help support your claims;
- Draft and file critical legal documents with the court;
- Negotiate with opposing parties, their insurers, and their legal counsel to reach a favorable out-of-court settlement; and
- Prepare for and take your case to trial when a fair and reasonable settlement is not feasible.
Having a Houston car accident lawyer in your corner can make all the difference as you pursue your claims.
At Armstrong Lee & Baker, we know just how hard it can be to navigate this process. That’s why we’ve dedicated our practice to helping injury victims during some of the most difficult times in their lives.
With the experience, knowledge, tools, and resources that we’ve gained through years of practice, we are confident that we have what it takes to fight zealously for your rights at every step along the way. Contact us to request a case evaluation and start your pathway to recovery today.